Renault’s Turbo 2 was a road-legal homologation special built in small numbers to meet Group B rallying regulations. The car was very successful in international rallies including spectacular Tour de Corse victories in the hands of Jean Ragnotti.
This stunning RHD example was purchased by an enthusiast in 2012 as a standard Turbo 2 in original condition. The previous and current owners have collectively spent the past 10 years creating an exhilarating example of this iconic classic which incorporates many of the key elements of the Tour de Corse (TDC) cars, whilst remaining useable on the road.
Over this period, the Renault was stripped to bare metal and a painstaking nut and bolt rebuild undertaken, with significant work being carried out by leading marque specialist JL Engineering and using genuine uprated Renault Sport components wherever possible. All elements of the car have been rebuilt and upgraded including, but not limited to the chassis, engine, gearbox and suspension and the Renault now offers phenomenal performance and handling to match its spectacular looks.
A full specification is available, but in summary this ‘no expense spared’ build includes:
• strengthened and modified body shell to TDC specification
• fully rebuilt and uprated JL Engineering engine, producing 270 bhp @18psi
• fully rebuilt UN1 369 gearbox with bespoke Elite plated LSD
• TTV custom clutch
• OMP FIA bolt in roll cage with removeable door bars
• 4 point harnesses and new inertia seat belts for practical use
• T1 dashboard with bespoke trim and all new VDO gauges
• Bilstein Monotube TDC coil overs, with Eibach springs all round
• Willwood 4 pot billet callipers with Cevennes cross drilled front discs
• Madin 8×15 and 10×15 wheels, with Michelin TB15 classic tyres
By separate negotiation the owner has an extensive package of original Renault 5 Turbo parts, and a brand new Renault Sport TDC plenum and corresponding uprated intercooler.
A truly immaculate and spectacular example of this iconic car which could readily be converted back to LHD if required.